I am an Assistant Professor at Saint Peter’s University, where I teach accounting and taxation. I’m a licensed CPA and formerly worked in public accounting at both Deloitte and EY. I volunteered for the Jesuit Volunteer Corps when I was twenty-two, a formative experience in the Ignatian tradition.
My research interests include state and local tax, public school funding, and tax abatements.
I also write a public finance literacy blog at CivicParent.org, where I write about property taxes, school funding, and more.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “3 Ways to Evolve Accounting Education“, NJ CPA Monthly (to be published Fall 2022)
- Contributed to NJ Society of CPA’s “Deciphering the Decline of the New CPA Supply,” August 4, 2022.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Ashley, Rev. Dr Willard, and Wurm, Rev. Laurie. “Change the Paradigm and Invest in Jersey City’s Children,” The Jersey Journal April 22, 2022.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Top 5 Excel Skills for Entry-Level Staff.” NJ CPA Monthly, Summer 2021.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Making the Most of Post-Grad CPA Exam Summer Studies.” NJ CPA Monthly, Spring 2021.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, I see hope for my college students.”USA Today Network, May 18, 2020.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Is Jersey City Due for Another Reval Already? A Taxpayer’s Guide to the Issue.” The Jersey City Times, Feb 10, 2020.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Jersey City’s School Funding Crisis: Where Are We Now.” The Jersey City Times, Oct 14, 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Dr. Buza, Lori. “Complying with New Nonprofit Reporting Standards.” New Jersey CPA Magazine, September / October 2019.
- D’Souza Brigid, Dr. Buza, Lori. “Can I Hold Client Records for Unpaid Fees?” New Jersey CPA Magazine, July /August 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Dr. Josephson, Jyl, Rev. Dr. Perry, Alonzo. “No Way to Run a World Class School District.” The Jersey Journal, May 31, 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Simon Ellen. “Public Schools Long ‘Robbed’ By Jersey City’s Abatement Windfall,” The Jersey Journal May 16, 2017.
Conferences & Presentations
- “The CPA Pipeline: Challenges and Opportunities for the Profession,” New Jersey Society of CPAs Issues Watch Podcast, August 16, 2022.
- The Business and Applied Sciences Academy of North America (BAASANA), August 11-12, 2022. Presented “Growing a larger and more diverse candidate pipeline, starting as early as middle school, for the accounting industry.”
- Understanding Montclair’s Municipal Budget : A Webinar With Councilman-At-Large Peter Yacobellis, January 26, 2022.
- Co-Presenter with Don Malone, Anna Brown, and Edgar Rivera-Colon, “Education and Affordable Housing Teach-In” at Saint Peter’s University (June 2019).
- Co-Presenter with Luis O Delahoz, “ITIN Workshop for Immigration Advocacy” at Saint Peter’s University (Feb 2019).
- Panelist, 2018 Diversity Issues in Higher Education Conference at Stockton University (November, 2018).
- MBA in Accountancy, The George Washington University
- BS in Marketing and BA in Art History, Rutgers University
- Saint Peter’s University, Assistant Professor and CPA Advisor (Jersey City)
- EY, Senior Manager (New York City)
- Deloitte, Associate, Senior, Manager (New York City)
- Government Accountability Office, Analyst (Washington, D.C.)
Member in Good Standing
- NJ Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Volunteer & Service
- CivicParent.org, Founder and Writer (New Jersey)
- Jersey City Together, Member of Strategy Team, Education Team, Public Safety Team (New Jersey)
- Team Wilderness, Board Treasurer, Treasurer (Hudson County)
- St. Aedan’s: the Saint Peter’s University Church, Communications, Finance Committees (Jersey City)
- Jersey City Children’s Theater, Board Treasurer (Jersey City)
- Frank R Conwell PS #3 PTA, Board Treasurer (Jersey City) (3-year term expired July 1, 2022)
- Jersey City Children’s Theater, Board Treasurer, Board President
- Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Board Leadership Training Series, Participant (Morristown)
- Taproot Foundation, Project Manager (New York City)
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Full-Time Volunteer (Houston)
- Live in Jersey City, NJ
- Married to Devanjn D’Souza and Mom to two kids, aged 10 and 11
- Parishioner at St. Aedan’s: The Saint Peter’s University Church