I am a licensed CPA and Assistant Professor at Saint Peter's University where I teach accounting, taxation, Excel, and more. I formerly worked in public accounting at Deloitte, developing a tax-technology skillset while building custom tax compliance and planning tools for clients.
My research interests include career and technical education (CTE) policy and programming, public school funding, and issues related to local property tax.
I love to write and have two separate blogs for this passion. I research, analyze, and write technical pieces for my fiscal literacy blog at CivicParent.org. I also have a travel blog at SpeckledNotebook.com where I blog for fun, centered around life experiences.
- D'Souza, Brigid, "3 Ways to Evolve Accounting Education", NJ CPA Monthly, Fall 2022.
- Contributed to NJ Society of CPA's "Deciphering the Decline of the New CPA Supply," August 4, 2022.
- D'Souza, Brigid, Ashley, Rev. Dr Willard, and Wurm, Rev. Laurie. "Change the Paradigm and Invest in Jersey City's Children," The Jersey Journal April 22, 2022.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Top 5 Excel Skills for Entry-Level Staff.” NJ CPA Monthly, Summer 2021.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Making the Most of Post-Grad CPA Exam Summer Studies.” NJ CPA Monthly, Spring 2021 (14).
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, I see hope for my college students.”USA Today Network, May 18, 2020.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Is Jersey City Due for Another Reval Already? A Taxpayer’s Guide to the Issue.” The Jersey City Times, Feb 10, 2020.
- D’Souza, Brigid, “Jersey City’s School Funding Crisis: Where Are We Now.” The Jersey City Times, Oct 14, 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Dr. Buza, Lori. “Complying with New Nonprofit Reporting Standards.” New Jersey CPA Magazine, September / October 2019.
- D’Souza Brigid, Dr. Buza, Lori. “Can I Hold Client Records for Unpaid Fees?” New Jersey CPA Magazine, July /August 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Dr. Josephson, Jyl, Rev. Dr. Perry, Alonzo. “No Way to Run a World Class School District.” The Jersey Journal, May 31, 2019.
- D’Souza, Brigid, Simon Ellen. “Public Schools Long ‘Robbed’ By Jersey City’s Abatement Windfall,” The Jersey Journal May 16, 2017.
Conferences and Presentations
- "Creating a talent pipeline "data map" from high school to higher education to address both talent shortage and a lack of diversity in the accounting industry." Presented research at the 26th Annual Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education (CJBE) Conference, San Diego. July 13-16, 2023.
- "IssuesWatch Live: Helping students reach the 150 credit hour requirement." Tuesday, May 2, 2023. Live webcast guest with Dan Geltrude, CPA. Hosted by Jeff Kaszerman of the New Jersey Society of CPAs.
- "NJCPA's Accounting Educators Workshop," Panel presentation about pilot program with PwC, New Jersey Society of September 30, 2022.
- "Building the CPA Pipeline: Talking with Accounting Educators," New Jersey Society of CPAs Issues Watch Podcast, August 16, 2022.
- Video link: https://youtu.be/ye_VO4-A4bs
- "Growing a larger and more diverse candidate pipeline, starting as early as middle school, for the accounting industry." Presented research at The Business and Applied Sciences Academy of North America (BAASANA)." Presented August 11-12, 2022.
- "Understanding Montclair's Municipal Budget: A Webinar With Councilman-At-Large Peter Yacobellis," January 26, 2022. Video link: https://youtu.be/bxwbuOpL0ro
- “Education and Affordable Housing Teach-In," Co-Presenter with Don Malone, Anna Brown, and Edgar Rivera-Colon at Saint Peter’s University (June 2019).
- “ITIN Workshop for Immigration Advocacy,” Co-Presenter with Luis O Delahoz at Saint Peter’s University. Feb 2019.
- 2018 Diversity Issues in Higher Education Conference. Panelist at Stockton University. November, 2018.
Original Media Content
- CPA Evolution: High level overview for accounting students and recent grads (February 2023)
- What makes a good scholarship essay? (Winter 2023)
- Resume Tips for Accounting Majors (Fall 2022)
- Pathway to CPA - an overview for accounting majors (Fall 2022)
- Internships Part 1 - the benefits of internships (Fall 2022)
- Internships Part 2 - timelines to apply (Fall 2022)
- Internships Part 3 - navigating the application process (Fall 2022)
Volunteer and Service to Community
- CivicParent.org, Founder and Writer (New Jersey, 2013-present)
- Jersey City Together, Member of Strategy Team, Education Team, Public Safety Team (New Jersey, 2016-present)
- Team Wilderness, Board Treasurer, Treasurer (Hudson County, 2015-present)
- St. Aedan’s: the Saint Peter’s University Church, Communications, Finance Committees (Jersey City, 2016-present)
- Frank R Conwell PS #3 PTA, Board Treasurer (Jersey City) (2019-22)
- Jersey City Children’s Theater, Board Treasurer and Board President (Jersey City, 2013-16)
- Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Board Leadership Training Series, Participant (Morristown, 2014)
- Taproot Foundation, Project Manager (New York City, 2007-09)
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Full-Time Volunteer (Houston, 1998-1999)
- Grew up in Morris County, NJ
- Live in Jersey City, NJ
- Married to Devanjn D’Souza and Mom to two kids who help drive my interest in education and community
- Parishioner at St. Aedan’s: The Saint Peter’s University Church