I want to encourage any student reading this to apply to the NJ Society of CPAs scholarship program. The details to apply are here and I wanted to share potential benefits if you apply and are selected:
- sophomores: $2,000 scholarship funding
- juniors and seniors: $6,500 scholarship funding
- accolades to include on a resume and to weave into interview dialog
Here is the required investment of your time and effort:
- Online Application. You can consider this a practice run if you’ve never applied to a job or internship before.
- A 500-word essay. I have more on this below.
- Official transcript (including fall semester) — an unofficial transcript is also acceptable (you can obtain this from your advisor)
- Your resume. Every student should have one…so better now than later to create and/or update it. I have a separate video about resume writing here.
The biggest effort, I think, is the essay because writing about yourself takes time, reflection, and some vulnerability. Allowing others to read your essay and critique it takes courage. So I’ll name it: this may push you outside your comfort zone. But please, embrace that; it’s good practice for your career.
What’s more, consider as you look at the application:
- The essay prompts are very real-world questions that you will be asked on interviews...so writing the essay will be a “two for one” exercise of both applying for real dollars and also preparing for future job interviews.
- The application process asks for many details that you’ll need to submit for a job application.
- Applying will not hurt; the worst that can happen is that you do not get awarded a scholarship, but you will have gone through steps #1 and #2 above which are investments into the internship or job search…so in the end, applying is a net positive either way.
I created a how-to video below in case it’s helpful.
If you’re interested in applying and need help, advice, or perhaps a word of encouragement, please do not hesitate to reach out (email@example.com).